Motor start and/or filter capacitors can retain a charge for up to 60 seconds or longer after power has been removed from the equipment. Some capacitors may have a resistor across the capacitor that speeds up the discharge.
- Remove power from the unit and wait 2 minutes before handling the capacitor.
- Use caution when handling electronic components.
- Capacitors can be discharged by placing the leads of a socketed 100 watt light bulb across the capacitor, or with a low resistance high wattage resistor.
- Discharge can be verified with a DC VOM.
- Shorting out the capacitor with a screwdriver is not recommended.