Error 42, Lift Position Value Out of Range. Error 42 is displayed when the lift position reported by the lift position potentiometer is found to be outside its set limits.
If an Error 42 has occurred, it is important to know the physical position of the lift when the error occurred. It is possible the lift is physically out of range or jammed. In this case, Error 42 is a secondary symptom and the issue should be approached as Precor Error 40.
Bad or intermittent connection in the lift motor controller.
The lift motor requires calibration.
The lift motor potentiometer is bad.
The lower PCA to upper PCA cable is bad.
The lower PCA is bad.
The upper PCA is bad.
- Intermittent connections can be difficult to locate. If the Error 42 condition is intermittent, a connection issue is probably the cause. This is definitely true if Error 42 occurred while the lift was within its normal physical range. Inspect the lift potentiometer connector and repair the connection if necessary. If the intermittent connection cannot be found or corrected, replace the lift motor. A lift calibration number of 0 or 255 indicates an open or shorted potentiometer connection. This means the problem could be anywhere between the lift motor and the upper PCA. Typically it can be identified and tracked using an ohmmeter.
- Using the appropriate service manual for the unit being tested, refer to the lift calibration procedure. If the information in the service manual doesn't match the lift position/physical lift position of the unit, recalibrate the lift motor. [Something caused the lift motor to be out of calibration. Investigate for cause and correct. Simply recalibrating the lift motor will not solve the problem.]
- If the lift calibration number is not 0 or 255 and does not change when the lift motor turns, replace the lift motor.
- Check continuity of the interconnect cable or swap with a known good interconnect cable to verify if the cable is bad.
- Swap the lower PCA with a known good lower PCA to verify if the lower PCA is bad.
- Swap the upper PCA with a know good upper PCA to verify if the upper PCA is bad.