Is the rubber smell from your new dumbbells, bumper plates, or equipment mats too strong? Allow Sportsmith to help with a few tips.
The smell of new rubber products can be overpowering. The area where you store these products can become almost intolerable. Time is the best method to cut the rubber odor, but there are steps you can take to reduce that irritating smell.
- Increasing the room's ventilation will help the smell vanish over time.
- Exposure to direct sunlight for a few hours can help reduce the rubber odor.
Overexposure can cause color fading.
- Pine Sol or Murphy's Oil Soap
- Container or bucket
- Make a mild cleaning solution (1 -2%) of Pine Sol or Murphy's Oil Soap. These are effective cleaners and the scent will help deodorize the smell. (If using a 32oz container, this would be about 1/2 ounce of Pine Sol or Murphy's Oil Soap to 31 1/2 ounces of water.)
- Wash the equipment mats with the mild cleaning solution.
- Use a clean mop or a clean washcloth for your bumper plates, dumbbells, or medicine balls.
- NOTE: Be sure to allow items to dry before use.
Please sign in to leave a comment.